Toys R US is the largest American specialized retailer of toys. And even though it recently faced numerous problems, credit cards issued by this retailer giant tend to be valued by the customers quite much. This article will help you find out insightful information about the Toys R US Credit Card. You will learn about the credit card’s advantages and disadvantages, as well as you will be able to assess whether you should apply for it.
Things You Should Know About Toys R US
Such a retailer as Toys R US was founded back in 1948 and, shortly after that, became a popular chain of shops that sold toys. As of the present time, the chain’s focus product lines include baby products, clothing, and toys. The chain’s stores can be found worldwide, while the number of stores operated by the company exceeds 698.
The company experienced the peak of its growth during the 1990s. Nowadays, Toys R US employs more than 64,000 workers. But the recent financial problems the company faced eventually led to the bankruptcy, which occurred in 2017. However, many of the company’s stores are still in operation. You can apply for the company’s credit card in any of the Toys R US stores, and you can find nearby stores of this chain by making use of this page.
Basic Information About the Toys R US Credit Card
Annual fee: $0.
APR for purchases: 26.99% variable.
Credit card highlights:
- 8% cash back for purchases made in Toys R US and Babies R US stores.
- 1% cash back for purchases made elsewhere.
- An ability to choose a special financing period or a 15% off discount after opening the accounts.
- The collected points can be redeemed for Toys R US certificates.
Unlike many stores that issue store branded credit cards that are not connected to major networks, the Toys R US Credit Card is connected to MasterCard, which means that you are able to use this credit card anywhere, not just in Toys R US stores. Similar as other store branded credit cards, however, the APR of the Toys R US Credit Card appears to be quite high, and this makes this credit card barely suitable for using credit funds.
Yet, this credit card would be, indeed, quite suitable if you tend to shop frequently in the Toys R US and Babies R US stores. If you are not a frequenter to these stores, this credit card barely has any value for you. And even though this credit card rewards you with points even for the purchases you make outside the company’s stores, you will be far better off, for example, if you choose one of the credit cards from the Chase bank – they tend to offer quite bigger benefits for spending your money on purchases.
Advantages of the Toys R US Credit Card
Before you will make up your mind whether you want to get a Toys R US credit card, you should find out about its benefits and drawbacks. At this point of our article, we will uncover what are the main benefits. This way, you will be able to assess whether you need to apply for this Toys R US Credit Card. So, the main benefits of this credit card are the following ones:
- You get one of the best cash back rates on the market. As it was pointed out above, the Toys R US Credit Card is perfect for those people who shop in the stores of this chain at least a couple times per year. If you are a regular customer of this chain, then you should definitely apply for this credit card, as you will get an effective cash back of 8% for all purchases made in Toys R US and Babies R US stores.
Let’s look at this program in detail. Once you get this Toys R US Credit Card, you will be automatically enrolled in its cash back program. Effectively, you will earn 8 cents for every $1 spent in the company’s stores, which leaves you with a 8% cash back. They will be accumulated in a form of points, and you will get 2 points for every $1 spent in the Toys R US or Babies R US stores. Once you have accumulated 125 points, you can redeem them for Toys R US certificates: one $5 certificate is worth 125 points. Obviously, can use those certificates only in the stores of this chain.
Considering that the Toys R US Credit Card is a part of the MasterCard network, you can use this card elsewhere too. But the cash back rate for purchases made elsewhere than the Toys R US or Babies R US stores is much lower and equal to just 1%, i.e. 1 point for every $4 spent elsewhere. This makes this credit card barely suitable for making purchases elsewhere, as you are able to get, for example, at least 1.5% cash back (in cash, not certificates) if you opt to use credit cards from the Chase Bank.
Also, keep in mind that that the rewards expire in 1 year if they are not redeemed for certificates. After opening an account at Toys R US, you will have to optimize the points unless you want them wasted. Right after getting your account opened, you will have to choose one of the following options: receiving Reward Dollars each 2 weeks (and they will expire within 60 days) or saving the reward points until a certain sum is reached. But in any case, all reward certificates expire in 60 days after their issuance, so keep that in mind.
- You can get a pretty solid discount or a special financing period. Once you have opened your Toys R US account, you will be able to choose one of the following options: a special financial period (0% APR for purchases made on a certain day) or 15% discount on the first purchase. We recommend you not to shop at the Toys R US for a while before opening your account and, then, choose a 15% discount.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind, however. If you choose a 15% discount, there are certain product lines that are not included in this deal, including video game hardware, tablets, laptops, and similar products. Another thing to keep in mind is that this deal will be available only during the first purchase which must be done within the 90 days after opening the account.
- You can also enjoy additional benefits. After all, having a Toys R US Credit Card allows you to take advantage of extra benefits. For instance, you will be able to enroll your children in Geoffrey’s Birthday Club, and the kids will receive a card, a gift, and a call from Geoffrey on their birthdays.
You are also able to enroll in the Endless Earnings program. This will allow you to gain rewards for having your babies registered at the Babies R US. For instance, you will get 5% on the first $300 spent in this chain of stores and 10% on all other purchases that exceed the initial $300.
Drawbacks of the Toys R US Credit Card
Unfortunately, this credit card also comes with a couple of serious drawbacks, and you should be aware of them. This section of our article contains the most obvious disadvantages of the Toys R US Credit Card, and so you will be able to make your choice reasonably. So, the drawbacks of this credit card are the following ones:
- Quite a low cash back rate on the purchases made elsewhere than the Toys R US stores. Unfortunately, 1% cash back is far below what many other credit cards can offer, and this makes this credit card barely competitive in this regard.
- Bonuses can be earned by the customers who don’t have Toys R US credit cards. Even if you don’t have a credit card from Toys R US, you still can amass points (just you won’t enjoy the 8% rewards rate) or get your children enrolled in the Geoffrey’s Birthday Club.
- You cannot redeem your rewards in any other way than for Toys R US certificates. Indeed, you will be able to get your reward only in a form of certificates, which, in turn, can be spent only in the Toys R US stores. This makes the company’s reward system pretty inflexible.
- You need to have a good credit history in order to apply for the Toys R US Credit Card. Typically, applicants with a credit score ranging from 620 to 710 or higher are accepted.
In view of the written above, it would be reasonable to sum up that this credit card is suitable only for people who shop at Toys R US stores at least 20-30 times per year. This credit card can boast to have one of the best cash back rates, but the rewards are inflexible and quickly expire. The card can be used only for making purchases in the Toys R US stores – otherwise, it loses all its value.